The features of the 11th edition of Critical Care Nursing: A Holistic Approach
have been designed to assist readers with practice as well as learning.
- Considerations for the Older Patient boxes highlight the special needs of this patient population that constitutes the largest numbers of critically ill patients.
- Health History boxes summarize key areas that should be covered and relevant information that may be revealed during the health history.
- Teaching Guides help the nurse to prepare patients and family members for procedures, assist patients and family members with understanding the illness they are dealing with, and explain postprocedure or postoperative activities.
Pedagogical FeaturesLearning Objectives
, at the beginning of each chapter, help focus the reader's attention on important topics.Clinical Applicability Challenges,
at the conclusion of each chapter, consists of three to five short-answer questions
or a case study
followed by three to five short-answer questions.
New to This Edition
- New case study/short-answer questions in every chapter guide the reader from knowledge to application. Discussion points for these questions are available on thePoint at http://thepoint.lww.com/Morton11e.
- Updated Evidence-Based Practice Highlights help the reader to understand the importance of research-based practice and include excerpts from the latest AACN practice alerts as well as from recently published research.
- New Spotlight on Genetics boxes appear in selected chapters and include important genetic information and summaries of selected genetic disorders. These disorders may be the result of random genetic mutations, genetic mutations caused by environmental influences, or inherited mutated genes.
Because the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies have become such an important part of every nursing curriculum, a new QSEN icon has been added to pertinent features to highlight this essential content:
- Patient Safety boxes alert readers to risk factors, signs and symptoms, side effects, and complications that the critical care nurse must anticipate and continuously monitor.
- Collaborative Care Guides describe how the health care team works together to manage a patient’s illness and minimize complications. The information incorporates nursing diagnoses and emphasizes outcomes and interventions.
- Evidence-Based Practice Highlights help the reader to understand the importance of research-based practice.