Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society Core Curriculum: Ostomy Management, 2nd Edition
Based on the curriculum blueprint of the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing Education Programs (WOCNEP) and approved by the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society™ (WOCN®), this practical text for ostomy care is your perfect source for expert guidance, training and wound, ostomy, and continence (WOC) certification exam preparation.
Full of expert advice on ostomy care, Core Curriculum Ostomy Management, 2nd Edition
is one of the few nursing texts to cover this practice area in detail.
Chapter features include: Objectives at the start of each chapter, Key Points that expand on important concepts, Tables that offer clinical guidelines and care strategies, Case Studies that optimize clinical decision-making, and End-of-Chapter Review Q&A’s — multiple choice questions followed by answers and rationales.
This is essential content for those seeking WOC certification; nursing students in ostomy programs; nurses caring for patients with an ostomy; nurses in gastroenterology, urology and surgical nursing; graduate nursing students and nursing faculty.
From the pathology basics to vital on-the-job skills, this evidence-based content is your complete map to gaining WOC certification — and to providing safe, optimal patient care.
Upgrade your ostomy nursing knowledge and skills and prepare for certification:
- NEW chapter on professional practice
- NEW chapter on surgical management of inflammatory bowel disease
- NEW “How to Pouch Over a Bridge” guide
- Highly rated case-based learning approach that demonstrates concepts, skills and patient-based care
- Easy-to-follow format that breaks down pathology, physiology and patient management topics into easy-to-remember terms
- Step-by-step instruction on the latest procedures and management, including:
- Pre- and post-op management for patients undergoing fecal or urinary diversion
- New surgical procedures and pouching techniques
- Patient education and rehabilitation issues
- Fecal and urinary stoma construction, and managing stoma and peristomal complications
- Diseases that lead to a fecal stoma – colorectal cancer
- Management of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Selection of pouching system
- Pediatric patient assessment and management
- Fistula management – etiologic factors, medical management, containment strategies, nutritional support, and more
- Detailed how-to on procedures such as fistula pouch changes, isolating a fistula for NPWT, and focused assessments
Your purchase includes a complimentary download of the enhanced eBook. The eBook includes powerful search tools, the ability to annotate
content, videos, and additional resources. It can be downloaded to three devices, and easily converted to an audiobook.About the Clinical Editors
Jane E. Carmel, MSN, RN, CWOCN has been Program Co-Director of Harrisburg Area Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurse Program (WOCNEP) and is on the faculty of Cleveland Clinic - R. B. Turnbull, Jr. MD WOC Nursing Education Program. She is also a consultant for home care and hospice agencies and has presented at regional and national conferences.
Janice C. Colwell, APRN, CWOCN, FAAN is a former President of the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society™ (WOCN®). She has practiced as an Advanced Practice Nurse at the University of Chicago Medicine in both the inpatient and outpatient areas, providing and supervising care to patients with ostomies. She has presented nationally and internationally, and published extensively in this field and is a past President of Friends of Ostomates Worldwide USA.
Margaret T. Goldberg, MSN, RN, CWON is a former President of the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society™ (WOCN®). She has chaired the WOCN guidelines task force and is a past President of the National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel. She consults to Delray Wound Treatment Center, an outpatient center in Delray Beach, Florida.